24 December 2011

RSAnimate

For the holiday weekend, I'm spending my time drawing , cooking, and watching all the RSA animate videos... Again. I enjoy revisiting these videos from time to time, because something new always pops out at me.

While watching Sir Ken Robinson's lecture "Changing Educational Paradigms," a quote about the arts seemed prominent to my interests. This particular lecture focus' on the educational system, its history, and the issues present to current institutions and its children. Having finished school only a year and a half ago, I feel I was an eye witness to the issues discussed. One of which was the amount of people being 'diagnosed' with ADD or ADHD. These drugs which are being force-fed to children are Anesthetics, something which dulls your senses and you mind.

Sir Robinson noted that the Arts (as well as Science and Math) are the subjects that suffer the most from these drugs.
The arts especially address the idea of aesthetic experience. An aesthetic experience is one of which happens when your senses are operating at their peak, when you are present at the current moment, when you are resonating with the excitement of the thing you are experiencing, when you are fully alive.
The arts are a very prominent part of my life, spanning from music, dance, theater, writing, film (not Movies) and just every day expression. When you take away people's ability to enjoy these things, life just wouldn't seem to be worth living. I have no valid premise to support my argument, because really you have to fully experience these things for yourself in order to understand. Or, if you need further explanation, listen to Sir Ken's speech hear:

No comments:

Post a Comment